Thursday, August 27, 2009

Booking Through Thursday


Booking Through Thursday asks "Whats the lightest. most "fluff" kind of book you read recently"


I recently read Love the One Your With by Emily Giffin one of my favorite "chick lit fluff writer" books. She is also the author of Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof all of which I have read and enjoyed. All of her books are light and easy and for the most part stand alone (Something Borrowed and Something Blue are connected with the same characters ) so quick and easy to pick up and read. I love Giffin's style of writing as she writes almost the exact way I feel I think and talk (and even write at times) slipping in and out of little tangents and side stories and minute details but still managing to create and effortless read. Since I had read her three other books before I felt like I knew what to expect going in but I have to say Love the One Your With hit me unexpectledly in a good way. The story is essentially about a woman, newly married to a wonderful husband, when she runs into her ex randomly on the streets of NY. The ex that broke her heart and still might even have some of it. For me the experience, without going into too much personal detail, hit home in many parts as I too have struggled in the early years of my marriage wondering about decisions and the idea of happily ever after. Needless to say to see many similities in thoughts and emotions from my own life come to life in the pages made me feel like maybe I wasn't alone in my own fears and doubts and at the end of the book the message I took from the book matched the conclusion that I myself had come to during these last few years of marriage. In the end the book felt very satisfying to me and yes it did make me cry so it won even more points in my book for that. So while I was expecting a very light fast read with this one I was pleasantly surprised at how much this book made me think, experience, and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment